Friday, April 3, 2009

First Cakes

Where did this blog come from, exactly? I have to give credit where it's due: First, Baskin Robbins and Mrs. A in Woodstock, IL. That's where I learned to make my first cakes by watching and being instructed by some of my co-workers over the course of 3 summers. When we weren't dipping ice-cream cones for customers, we were often making and decorating ice-cream cakes to fill the display case or to fill orders. Jamie, Sara, and a few other girls, most of them college students at home for the summer, were the ones who showed me how to make some flowers, do shell borders, and otherwise decorate an ice-cream cake (which is a lot different than making your own cake at home as I found out the first time I tried to do so when I made my husband's Lord of the Rings birthday cake the next February). Here are a few of my first cakes that I took pictures of from Baskin Robbins. The next step toward this blog would have to be having my girl friend Kelsey move back into our area. She helped me make my little daughter's 2nd birthday cake, and I discovered I could, and really liked, making cool cakes. I managed to make a few birthday cakes for my daughters, but it's only now that I'm really getting into it. After the first disastrous attempt at making my own frosting for the Lord of the Ring's cake I had kind of given up on the idea that I could figure out serious home cake decorating by myself, until Kelsey helped me with my daughter's Safari Cake. (I was so spoiled at the ice-cream shop--working with frozen cakes, and having all my frosting ready-made.) We have plans to make an awesome cake for the Relief Society birthday in a couple of weeks, and we are making some cool cakes to auction off at the Scout camp desert auction fundraiser. Third is Jon and Cyndia. They asked me to make their wedding cake this June. I won't be doing so even though I think it would be awesome to be able to contribute to their wedding in that way, and to be able to say I've made a wedding cake would just be so cool! But I really don't think I'm proficient enough to not stress way too much about it. However, it got me thinking that I would love to take some classes to learn to be proficent enough, and so because of Jon and Cyndia, I looked into the Wilton classes at Michael's.

And that's the final reason this blog got started. I'm going to be learning to do some cool things, and I'm so excited to be creative and see what I can come up with. So this blog is meant to be a place to journal about, and share what I come up with. Enjoy!

No comments: